If you love Aubergines, you will love this week’s Meatless Monday recipe. There really isn’t much not to like about it – a rich tomato sauce, bubbling mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Yummy! This is originally a Jamie Oliver recipe, but I have tweaked it so much I am not sure he would recognize it anymore – sorry Jamie.
You will need:
2 large aubergines (I used one purple and one zebra striped one)
1 large bunch of basil (roughly 30 gr)
1 large onion
1 red pepper
1 – 2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil for frying
1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
200 g mozzarella cheese
100 g dried breadcrumbs
20 g Parmesan cheese
1 lemon or lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil
50 g basil or rocket
This is how
- Preheat the grill and place a large oven tray on a shelf close to the heat.
- Trim the aubergines and slice length ways into ½ cm pieces. Place them in a bowl, sprinkle generously with salt, toss, and put to one side.
- Remove basil leaves from the stalks and finely chop the stalks.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, and red pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Gently fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the basil stalks and peppers and fry for a few minutes. Add the tin of tomatoes and the same volume of water. Cook until it reaches a saucy consistency.
- While your sauce is boiling away, rinse the aubergines and pat them dry with a clean dish cloth. Tip them back into the bowl and toss with approximately 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and a good pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Spread the aubergines onto the hot tray and slide under the grill (you will need to do this in batches, as the aubies need to be in one layer).
- Grill for approximately 5 minutes, or until brown, then flip the aubergines and grill for another 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they burn easily. When done, place them in a bowl.
- Taste and season your sauce before pouring over the aubergines. Tear over the basil leaves and mix.
- Spread the mixture onto the tray and tear over the mozzarella. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grate over the Parmesan. Slide back under the grill and grill until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile make a dressing with the lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss it through the basil or rocket leaves. When your parmigiana is bubbling, remove from the oven, divide between plates, and serve with the basil or rocket salad.