If like me you have not started buying your Christmas presents yet and you are feeling a little anxious and overwhelmed – this gift guide is for you. I have put together this guide for everyone who wants to live a more conscious, sustainable life and not be swept up in the consumerism of what can become the silly season. I have sourced 15 wonderful gifts that should put a smile on the faces of your kids, as well as the foodies and gardeners in your life. There are also a few gift ideas for those ‘impossible-to-buy-for’-people and a few stocking fillers for those who want to start living a more sustainable life in 2021.
For the kids
- A book is always a great gift. HELP YOURSELF cookbook for kids is a great gift option for that blooming foodie in your family. It has really cute illustrations and includes vegan recipes using a lot of fruit and vegetables. [R349]
- The KNOCK-A-BLOCK starter kit from Stumped Wooden Toys and Accessories is a unique set of open-ended building blocks that inspire imaginative play and teach important tactile skills. This product is lightly sanded, made locally from untreated timber that is sourced from sustainable forests. A great gift for kids older than 18 months. [R335]
- I love, love, love this GINGERBREAD SPROUT HOUSE from My Eco Sprout. My Eco Sprout specializes in growing kits that stimulate children’s development and knowledge about growing in the early stages of their life. Their Gingerbread Sprout House has been designed to give kids a better understanding of the stages a seed goes through before growing into a mature plant. [R185,10]
For the foodie
- Nothing excites a foodie more than trying their hand at making something. This SOFT CHEESE MAKING KIT from Woolworths is a great gift for the adventurous foodie. It includes a beautiful ceramic bowl, locally produced muslin cloth, citric acid, and a sweet chilli seasoning. All you need to do is follow the easy steps and get the cheese board out. [R149,99]
- Make the best brownies and shortbread in town with Lagom Living ’s DIY COOKIE MIXES. They come with an easy recipe and a glass jar that can be reused. [R70-R80]
- The Refillery is a planet-friendly grocer offering a stylish, convenient, PLASTIC-FREE, ‘weigh-and-pay’ shopping experience. Their online store is great. You can re-stock your pantry with high quality, ethically sourced products without all that wasteful packaging normally associated with a trip to the grocery store. I would not mind finding a GIFT CARD from the Refillery in my own stocking this year. [R300, R500, R1000]
For the gardener
- You cannot go wrong with a book. JANE’S DELICIOUS GARDEN is a great book for any gardener.
- Help the gardener in your life garden in style with a WATERING CAN from Takealot. [R280]
- A packet or two of HEIRLOOM SEEDS from Seeds for Africa or The gravel garden is a great gift for any gardener. [Prices range]
For the eco warrior
- The ZERO WASTE STARTER KIT from Unwrapped co. is the ideal way to help a loved one on their zero-waste journey. It contains a stainless-steel straw, straw cleaner and storage bag, cotton veggie bag, soy wax wraps, soap, toothbrush, and a loofah. And it all comes in a re-usable glass jar. [R397]
- Treat a friend and eco warrior to one of these beautiful FLORAL BAGS by Sheba. They are locally made and make a great Christmas gift. You will not only be spoiling someone with one of them, but also helping to eliminate the amount of single use plastic in our world. Available at Proudhands.co.za. [R390]
- DISH AND BOWL COVERS from Halo Dish Covers are a great alternative to clingwrap and make wonderful gifts. These beautiful covers are a proudly South African product. They come in different designs, sizes and colours and are all handmade. Halo is not only saving the planet one dish cover at a time, but also creating much needed jobs. [prices range from R125 for one cover up to R459 for a set].
For the ‘impossible to buy for’
We all have family and friends that fall into this category. A voucher for a WORKSHOP is a great gift. Not only is it an Eco-friendlier gift, but you get to learn a new skill and create memories with your loved ones.
- Learn how to bake SOURDOUGH BREAD with Babette (Johannesburg)
- Or how about a KOREAN COOKING CLASS at Umami food studio in Midrand. You can also buy dumpling kits and cordials from them.
- Why not book a workshop in WATER COLOUR ILLUSTRATIONS at Vos en Ink for that arty loved one?
Other stocking fillers
- I believe a good bottle of wine is one of the best gifts you can give. IONA WINES not only have amazing wines, but their labels are beautiful too.
- Nicholas at the SPILHAUS BREWERY not only brews amazing craft beer but will also print a customized label for you. A fun gift for your favourite craft beer drinker.